After mowing the lawn once since the mower rebuild the thing started running absolutely horrible. The motor was revving up and down over and over and I just could not get it to stop. Every time I would get it to stop hunting it would just start hunting again. I searched the Internet and I couldn’t find any information that was useful. I couldn’t seem to figure it out for the life of me but one thing I did notice was that no amount of carburetor adjustment made any difference. This spoke volumes to me and since I already had
I found these 2 PDF’s on the internet while searching for more information on my 18 HP B&S motor. The first document is an Illustrated parts list for Briggs & Stratton Model Series 422700 Type numbers 1105 – 4822. The second document will show you how to read the model number / VIN number of your Briggs & Stratton motor so you will know which motor will directly replace your motor. Its easier to find an engine that will fit than it is to find the exact same model engine if you need to change the engine for any reason.
Well here is the result of all my hard work so far, it’s not finished yet but definitely getting there. I can’t believe the difference in this mower, this thing has gone from a curb side piece of crap to a pretty nice mower that I plan to keep around for a few years. I know I am certainly happy with it so far, time to mow the lawn.
I finally got the frame painted in the same paint I used on the deck. I had a buddy help me sand the frame while he was over hanging about which really helped speed up the process. After the frame was painted and finished drying I decided to get some new power wires ran for the motor and ignition system. I added a new ground and cleaned up the old wiring to keep things neat and easy to work on.
While refinishing the deck (covered in a previous post) I noticed the mandrels where ruined at the blade attachment. The star shaped key was rounded off beyond repair so I had no choice but to replace the mandrel completely which I had no problem with. These are the parts that hold on your blades and keep them away from you, I would hate for one to break loose and who knows what kind of damage it could cause. Another nice benefit of the new mandrels is brand new bearing which will keep the blades spinning with minimal resistance. I received
I plan to convert all of the pictures I took of the old lettering and logos into vector art to later be cut out in vinyl. I have a couple friends with vinyl cutters and each of them owe me favors so some new stickers will be the way to go. I haven’t decided if I will replace all of the stickers or just some of them, I also don’t know if the new vinyl will stick to the new textured style paint. I’m in no hurry to get this done so when the time comes I will find out,
After my last post it was obvious the deck needed some serious work so I decided I would tackle that first. I have to say I was very happy at the way the deck turned out. I ended up using a truck bed coating spray paint on the top and liked the look and durability of it so much that I decided to do the entire frame in this paint. It is expensive and blasts out of the can rather quickly which makes it even more expensive but its well worth it IMO. Check out the pictures below and tell
I decided to pull the Mower out on a nice day and get the years of dirt and grime off of it so I could start prepping it for paint and maintenance. I noticed while cleaning that the deck was rusted out severely and would take some serious sanding and painting to get it back in shape. I decided I would sand the deck thoroughly and throw a ton of paint on it to help prevent additional rusting in the future. I also noticed the 2 “leveling” wheels where broken off and the holes where oval’d out which would take some