I upgraded to the latest WordPress version but first I had to convert the MySQL database from 4.0 to 5.0.
Overall this was fairly simple. I had to create a new MySQL 5.0 database and export the current 4.0 database.
I then imported the MySQL 4.0 database into the 5.0 database.
I had to edit the configuration file for the website to point to the new database.
If you look around you will see some stuff isn’t quite right, I noticed some characters aren’t displayed correctly and at first I thought I possibly exported the database incorrectly so I gave it a few more tries with the same results.
I will be fixing the errors on the site through the month as I get time. They shouldn’t effect the end user functionality so I am not in a rush to fix them. I just wanted to give everyone a heads up as to whats going on.
I am also in the process of reorganizing the site with a slightly new direction. The site will no longer be 100% IT based and will feature some other projects I am working on including Automotive and Electronic. Because of this some content will be rearranged with new subcategories. I haven’t been able to get this working quite right yet and I think its due to the theme I am using. So the theme may change or I may get my hands dirty and rewrite some of the theme code to resolve the issue.