Lead Technical Engineer responsible for oversight, management, design, implementation, of VLAN and Subnet changes for Medical Mile buildings 25 & 35 Michigan St. with portions of the MSU building 15 Michigan St.
1 to 2 IDF per floor of each building, each IDF consists of 2x /23 Subnets for Voice and Data. Each subnet is organized further into halves (2x /24) dividing End User and Network Devices on each half of the /23.
In addition to the expected connected devices were medical equipment, building automation, HVAC, Card Access readers, security cameras, IDF environmental monitoring, Lab equipment, and dozens of subnetworks behind virtual routers or Cisco 19xx’s.
Heavy on the Cisco, 68xx Distribution, Cat 3650, 9300 Access Stacks, C45xx Access Chassis, 19xx Routers for Pocket Nets, VG3xx Voice Gateways, 98xx WLC, 38xx WAP’s, ISE, TACACS with a pinch of Bluecat & Rundeck. Equipment listed is localized to project, not complete list.
To create repeatable discovery, verification, and post check procedure I undertook the development of several PowerShell (Chosen due to environment) scripts that did the following.
- Logged into Cisco switches and gathered ARP, Mac Table, Switch Ports, CDP Neighbors, Various Interface commands, then correlated on them performing Join operations.
- Took 3 MAC database downloads from IEEE, Wireshark and a third for good measure, converted each of them into a similar format then combined them all into one Master offline database file, this gets Hashed into the PowerShell scripts for on-the-fly MAC Address Look ups.
- Performed a network scan for Ping, NetBIOS, Local Arp, specific Ports, If 21,22,23,80,443 are up the script will attempt to figure out what they are.
- Various versions read IPAM CSV output to use as a reference base when validating by cross reference of switches and or network scan results.
- Each script requiring switch access has secure credential management, all have progress status updates and verbose error reporting.
Overall, the preparation changes reduced the cutover time from 6 hours to around 2 hours consistently.